I have to admit something to you guys… I only wear makeup on weekends. And sometimes I don’t even do that. I’ve always had oily skin, and since I don’t have a job that requires a lot of face-to-face interaction, I take advantage of that time to let my skin breathe. However, when I do wear makeup, I don’t wear a lot. Unless I’m going out, but my dancing days are pretty much non-existent.
Living on a low-income budget makes it hard to justify buying things like makeup for myself. It’s one of those things that tends to take a back seat to everything else. Over the last few years I’ve started experimenting with different makeup products from the drugstore, and I’ve found a handful that I use consistently, first because of the quality, and second because of the price.
7 Essential Makeup Products That Cost Less Than $15
I’m by no means an “expert,” but I am a licensed cosmetologist. These are the products that I use when I’m looking for a flawless look with minimal effort. For your convenience, I’ve listed them in the order that I apply them.
- e.l.f. Poreless Primer– I love e.l.f. products because they’re great quality and you can buy them at the drugstore. I have yet to find a product that I haven’t liked. This is the first thing I apply to my face (after moisturizer) because it creates a smooth canvas to apply your makeup.
- Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer– I dab this under my eyes, on the bridge of my nose and on any blemishes that I have, then use a concealer brush to blend it in. I bought this last year and I still have about a third of the tube left, so it’s definitely worth the price.
- Physicians Formula Super CC+ Color-Correction + Care CC+ Powder SPF 30– Physicians Formula products are my second favorite brand for A LOT of reasons. They’re non-comedogenic, which means they won’t clog your pores. Did you know that makeup is one of the top triggers of a breakout? (Source: Women’s Health) Think about it, we cleanse, tone and moisturize which is great for our skin. But then we basically undo everything by piling on layers of makeup. If your makeup isn’t non-comedogenic, it could be the culprit of those nasty acne breakouts. ALSO, one of the most important ways to take care of your skin is to protect it from the sun. (Source: Mayo Clinic) Even in the winter. This powder has SPF 30, so it’s a year round staple.
- Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Airbrushing Bronzer– I didn’t start wearing bronzer until about 2 years ago. My life will never be the same. This is the easiest way to define and contour your face. You don’t have to spend 10 minutes a day on contouring, just brush some bronzer underneath your cheek bones, on the tip of your forehead and right along your jawline beneath your chin. Don’t use too much–this stuff is powerful!
- Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Airbrushing Blush– Another thing I didn’t start wearing regularly until a few years ago is blush. Why? I have no idea. I love it. Start at your temples and brush lightly towards the apple of your cheeks. Again, don’t use too much–you just need a hint of color.
- L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Curved Brush Mascara– This is a pretty standard mascara. I like that the brush is curved, however it’s not waterproof. I don’t like to use waterproof products because they’re hard to remove. (Obviously.) This has treated me well for the past six months, and you can’t beat the price.
- Maybelline New York Baby Lips Balm Electro– I’ve tried many different lip balms. eos, Carmex, Burt’s Bees… but Baby Lips by Maybelline is my fave! It doesn’t leave that sticky residue on your lips for 30 minutes after you apply it, and it leaves your lips feeling as smooth as butter. Plus, I would be surprised if one of these sticks lasted you an entire year! (Unless of course you use it obsessively like me, then you might only get half a year.)
Do you have any to add? What are your favorite makeup products from the drugstore? Let me know by leaving a comment below.[yikes-mailchimp form=”1″ description=”1″ submit=”I want in”]
***This post may contain affiliate links. See my Disclosure for details.***
This post is linked to WAYWOW, Coffee & Conversation, Thriving On Thursday, 100 Happy Days, No Rules Party, Friday Frivolity, Two Uses Tuesday, Mommy Monday Blog Hop, Made By You Monday, Over The Moon, Titus 2 Tuesday, A Bit Of Everything and Tips & Tricks.